Reporting to the Senior Engineer Processing, the Automation Specialist is responsible for leading process control improvements that drive value to Teck. The successful candidate will work as part of the Elkview Processing Department in close collaboration with a high performing team of professionals to safely deliver and maintain a diverse set of technology that is transforming the way Teck operates its mineral processing systems.
The Automation Specialist will work closely with the Information Systems and Technology group, following best practices, and guiding the strategy regarding processing systems and technologies. Technologies include process automation, remote operations, thin client human machine interfaces (HMI), optimization systems, machine learning, and operator safety systems.
This position offers a compressed workweek with alternating Friday’s off, and comes with a competitive pay and benefits package.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Work as a part of a highly collaborative team with a focus on delivering value and promoting sharing of best practices across operations
- Engage people at all levels in the organization, across all Teck operations, and corporate offices
- Support innovation initiatives at Teck such as Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Internet of Things, and Augmented / Virtual Reality initiatives
- Facilitate and support cyber-security improvements, incident response, and forensics
- Provide design and implementation support to major projects including green field projects
- Collaborate closely with internal and external teams to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems
- Define, implement, support, and continuously improve leading edge systems that optimize safety, sustainability, and productivity
- Monitor for system problems and provide emergency support
- Administer Windows server and desktop platforms within the control system environment
- Adhere to departmental change control policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain documentation of standards and best practices
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering with an Automation focus, or related discipline. Equivalent experience or certification with at least four years of experience will be considered as well
- Three to five years working on industrial process control systems, programming PLC and HMI Systems with a background in instrumentation and automation
- Valid class five driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Ability to understand and develop control systems from engineering documents such as P&ID’s, control narratives, and function diagrams
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows desktop and server Operating Systems, virtualization, Active Directory, and computer networking fundamentals
- Knowledge of industrial control system security concepts and techniques, application source control, electrical systems, and computer network and database fundamentals
- Strong process documentation and reporting capabilities
- Rockwell and Wonderware experience and training are preferred
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Excellent program and project management skills and strong knowledge of business analysis techniques
- Strong cross-functional team participant with a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Detail and action oriented, but also able to think strategically delivering a value added service strategy
- Highly motivated individual that is able to work independently
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.