Reporting to the General Manager, the Controller, Water Quality Management (WQM) is responsible for managing the Finance function for the WQM Department. The Controller will have responsibility for financial planning and business analysis, engaging closely with Coal Finance Shared Services, WQM Water Planning, and Coal Business Planning teams in the delivery of financial reporting and planning requirements.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Perform cost model support and maintenance for all stages of the annual business planning cycle such as Forecast, Budget, Five Year Plan, and Life of Mine
- Administer and maintain all water finance functions including managing the interactions with shared services regarding financial reporting, internal controls, financial information systems, costing, accounts payable, and project justifications
- Maintain an effective financial control and reporting system for activities that are unique to the WQM department, including but not limited to integration of controls and reporting of projects under EPCM contractual arrangements, accounting for the accommodations facility project chargebacks, management reporting enhancements for water operations and projects, and non-routine spend approval processes
- Participate in financial planning and operational activities and strategies to provide financial guidance, advice, and analysis to support the financial reporting cycle
- Review and interpret financial results, forecasts, and economic studies with management and external agents in order to determine the financial impact on the operation and Coal Business Unit
- Provide advice and assistance to the WQM General Manager on financial matters
- Maintain and continuously improve site forecasting and budgeting processes for operating expenses and capital
- Take necessary action to protect the assets of the operation to enable effective cost, financial, and management reporting
- Ensure that Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP) and audit requests are implemented
- Supervise and guide direct reports to ensure effective delivery of stated objectives
- Perform other responsibilities as required
- Professional accounting designation (CPA)
- 10 years of progressively senior level experience in finance, preferably with significant resource industry experience
- Complementary financial, project management, technical, or planning accreditation considered an asset
- Advanced analytical, decision making, strategic planning, change management, and organizational abilities
- Advanced user of financial data and reporting systems such as MS Excel, PowerPoint, Dynamics AX, and Atlas Reporting
- Strong critical thinker with an aptitude for problem solving
- Respected professional with a proven track record as a strategic leader; both within the financial disciplines as well as within operational continuous improvement teams or other project implementation
- Effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication, and relationship management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical management behaviors, business, and reporting practices
- Proven ability to work under pressure with minimal guidance and meet tight deadlines
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.