Reporting to the Lead, Water Compliance, the Coordinator, Environment is responsible for supporting the ongoing management of Teck’s water treatment facilities. This support includes maintaining regulatory compliance with regional and local permits and evaluating and reducing environmental risks associated with the operation of Teck’s water treatment facilities, which currently include Active Water Treatment Facilities, Saturated Rock Fill Treatment Facilities, and Calcite Treatment Facilities.
The position requires a broad base of scientific knowledge, technical skills, and environmental project management experience as the successful candidate will be responsible for collecting and analyzing air, water, and soil samples; data entry, review and management; conducting field inspections, performing environmental monitoring and preparing internal and external reports. The key focus of this role will be to provide operational support to Teck’s water treatment facilities from a regulatory compliance and environmental risk perspective.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop sampling and monitoring programs and oversee collection of chemical, physical, and biological tests (water, air, sediment) to confirm compliance and determine environmental conditions
- Understand applicable permits and associated requirements
- Complete environmental data entry, review, and management
- Participate in, and lead, field investigations and inspections
- Manage contractors to ensure work is being conducted safely and in accordance with the project scope
- Participate in, and supervise, various environmental projects, such as remediation, field sampling, and maintenance of infrastructure
- Provide support to water operations staff
- Develop and review Environmental Protection Work Plans
- Adhere to environmental procedures and standardized protocols, and perform general quality control and quality assurance protocols for testing materials for conformity and compliance
- Analyze field and analytical data to draft technical reports and communications
- Responsible for care, routine maintenance, repair, and calibration of monitoring and sample collection equipment and instrumentation
- Build internal working relationships for the purposes of facilitating environmental education and compliance
- Develop working relationships with government agencies, Aboriginal groups, and other local communities of interest to support understanding of Teck’s activities
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned or required
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Environmental Science discipline such as Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Forestry, or Agriculture preferred
- Consideration of Diploma in Environmental Technology with relevant work experience
- Minimum five years’ experience in the field of environmental compliance or monitoring specific to mining
- Experience with environmental data management software (GIS/EQuIS) and proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite®; specifically Excel
- Technical knowledge of relevant environmental and waste legislation, standards, and effective industry practices
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent project management experience with a track record that includes management and technical support for multiple environmental projects
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced team work environment
- Must possess effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, and the ability to coordinate the efforts of others to accomplish objectives
- Strong analytical and decision making abilities with a proven capacity in practical problem solving
- Ability to work productively with nominal supervision and work independently in remote locations
- Ability to multi-task competing priorities to see projects to completion, while addressing any challenges along the way
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.