Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
Classification: Full-time, Permanent
Compensation: $180,000 to $215,000 per annum + bonus; wages are reviewed annually
Benefits: The position is eligible for benefits (includes: medical, extended health, prescription drug, dental, vision, life & AD&D, LTD, Employee Share Purchase Plan, Stock Option, Relocation Expense Allowance, RRSP, and Fifteen (15) days of vacation)
The Director, Health and Safety is responsible for providing oversight to the business on best practice health and safety matters for exploration, capital projects, operational and administrative functions. The key objectives for this role will be to:
- Develop and implement strategic objectives and frameworks to improve health and safety performance throughout the business.
- Advance and improve group-wide Eldorado Gold safety management systems in accordance with legislative requirements, accreditation/certification agencies, and industry best practice.
The Director, Health and Safety will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Review, develop, implement and monitor an effective health and safety strategic plan that is aligned to the Eldorado Gold vision and directly addresses the challenges and context of the company.
- Ownership and accountability for implementation of Eldorado Gold health and safety policy, management systems, standards and practices for all sites and exploration teams.
- Delivery of a shared vision and commitment to an industry-leading health and safety culture at all levels of the company, inclusive of developing and executing strategies to move towards safety resilience.
- Improving performance towards getting all our people home safely through analysis and the development and execution of health and safety improvement strategies.
- Close and supportive relationships with all levels of management, ensuring best practice health and safety management is championed and prioritized.
- Ensure ongoing compliance and certification to international cyanide management code requirements (for signatory operations).
- Provide direction and support to site/country management to ensure ownership of health and safety strategic and annual operating plans.
- Ensure risk and hazard management plans are in line with Group standards in order that health and safety objectives are achieved and risk is minimized throughout the company.
- Consistently evaluate progress and effectiveness of proposed and established strategies to improve and maximize potential.
- Lead the performance and growth of Eldorado Gold health and safety strategy and culture.
- Effectively manage health and safety resources to drive business value and outcomes aligned to the strategy.
- Manage a program of health and safety audits that include scheduled and unscheduled audits across sites reviewing against the requirements of legislation, company standards and safety management plans.
- Ensure availability of health and safety information, instruction, materials and assistance throughout all areas of the business.
- Champion health and safety leadership and build strong working relationships with all key stakeholders, contractors, suppliers and employees and drive step change in Group performance.
- Recommend and lead improvements in audit and incident investigation processes.
- Provide direction and guidance for injury definitions, classifications and determinations.
- Ensure that emergency management plans are in place, tested and reviewed across all sites.
- Support occupational health services in achieving injury prevention, management and rehabilitation to promote employee health and wellbeing.
- Model best practice health and safety leadership by ensuring specialist and strategic advice, practical guidance and support is available to the Executive Team, Managers and the Board (when required).
International travel will be required from to time. Travel expenses will be covered by the employer. Work hours may require flexibility from time to time, based on company and project needs.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced Post-secondary Diploma, tertiary qualification or equivalent, in Occupational Health and Safety (mandatory)
- Accredited safety practitioner (mandatory)
- Lead auditor (mandatory)
- Lead investigator (desirable)
- Emergency Response Qualifications (desirable)
- Minimum ten years' experience in health and safety, ideally with previous experience in a similar strategic health and safety role (mandatory)
- Previous experience in leadership role in safety management system development and implementation of company’s safety & health management (mandatory)
- Knowledge of I NX safety management system software (desirable)
- International leadership position within resource industry (mandatory)
- Exposure to implementation of International Cyanide Management Code requirements ( desirable)
- Exposure to implementation of the Towards Sustainable Mining (TSM) Safety and Health Protocol and Tailings Management Protocol (both desirable)
- Exposure to OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001 (or similar) (desirable).
Technical and practical knowledge:
- High level risk and safety management, incident investigation and reporting, auditing and inspecting.
- Development and implementation of corporate safety management systems.
- Working knowledge of multi-jurisdictional regulatory requirements and administrative frameworks and experience in dealing with regulators relating to managing health and safety
- Strategic leadership experience and competence with a proven ability to develop and implement strategic plans.
- Proven capability in achieving health and safety performance improvement and experience leading cultural change within health and safety.
- Highly effective communication skills both oral and written at all levels to successfully achieve outcomes, including presenting information for a wide range of audiences