Reporting to the Supervisor, Safety & Loss Control, the Emergency Response Coordinator is responsible for matters related to emergency response and preparedness as well as avalanche management. The role will follow an EDO schedule. This temporary position is expected to be 12 months in duration.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Support implementation of High Potential Risk Control and Occupational Health and Hygiene strategies
- Promote Health and Safety leadership amongst employees and contractors, providing guidance and direction on the application of site procedures and programs
- Provide support to safety incident investigations and health and safety programs, including confined space, hazardous energy isolation, and fall protection
- Perform periodic emergency response equipment inspections and participate in audits as required
- Train, supervise, and support Elkview mine rescue teams and the Loss Prevention team
- Develop and implement all training materials related to mine rescue as per the Western Canada Mine Rescue Manual
- Maintain comprehensive training and equipment certification records for reporting and legal compliance
- Coordinate surface and underground emergency management scenarios and drills
- Develop emergency response plans as per requests from various site stakeholders and support these work groups throughout project planning and execution as needed
- Perform duties related to avalanche management such as avalanche hazard assessments, and post and monitor avalanche warnings
- Perform other duties as assigned or required
- OFA Level III certification
- Avalanche Operations Level 1 or higher
- Dual certification: Surface and Underground Mine rescue
- Administration of BC Ministry of Energy, Mines & Petroleum Resources - Surface and Underground mine rescue courses
- NFPA 1001 certification – Exterior, Interior, and Full Service Fire Fighter Operations (IFSAC/ProBoard)
- BC Fire Services Instructor
- Minimum five years of relevant emergency response or mine rescue experience
- A Certificate, Diploma, or Degree in Health & Safety or Emergency Response would be considered an asset
- Excel in a high performance atmosphere
- Class 4 Driving License
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Hands-on, self-sufficient, and demonstrates a positive, can-do attitude
- Strong computer skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office Suite® package: Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment to meet the needs of key stakeholders
- Good trouble shooting, critical thinking, and decision making abilities
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.