Job Title: Environmental Sampler
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
The primary responsibility for this position is to support the mine site operations team with the objective of meeting safety and production targets by ensuring compliance with environmental permit conditions, applicable legislation and agreements with stakeholders.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for collection of all field data.
• Responsible for assisting with annual reporting requirements.
• Responsible to maintain all field equipment.
• Capable of implementing sediment and erosion measures under the direction of supervisor.
• Responsible for all care and maintenance of all associated motorized equipment.
• Ensure all samples are properly prepared for shipping.
• Ensure all data entry is correct and entered in a timely fashion.
• Miscellaneous other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Diploma or Degree in Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences or related field.
• Eligibility in Professional Designation is preferred (i.e., R.BTech, ABT, R.P.Bio., etc.), or “in-training”.
• 1 – 3 years of experience in a relevant field. Will consider other training and experience deemed equivalent.
• Previous experience in a mining or industrial setting would be an asset.
• Intermediate computer skills including above average knowledge of Microsoft Suite is required, GIS skills would be an asset.
• Training in First Aid, Transportation of Dangerous Goods and WHIMS is desirable
• A valid Class 5 licence is required.
Work Environment / Conditions
This position is required to make field visits on and off the mine property. He/she must be physically fit and have the ability to travel by foot or vehicle.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to safely maintain and operate motorized field vehicles (Snowmobile, UTV/ATV).
• Self-starter and able to work independently and safely with minimal direction.
• Physically fit and able to work outdoors year-round in extreme weather conditions.
• Highly organized with great attention to detail.
• Ability to complete work in a timely manner with accuracy.
• Ability to troubleshoot faulty field equipment
• Be a team player that upholds company values
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
• Possess strong problem-solving skills
• Ability to spot hazards at the work sites, which may put employees at risk.
• Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned.
Work Location / Travel
• Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge (Wolverine Mine), Chetwynd (Brule and Willow Creek Mine) and Mackenzie, (Willow Creek Mine, BC)
• Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer
For more information and to apply online, please visit: https://conumacoalresources.applytojob.com/apply/7vkoc6mNPU/Environmenta...