Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: 1188 Bentall 5, 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6C 2B5
Classification: Full-time, Permanent
Compensation and Benefits: $465,000 - $510,000 per annum.
The position is eligible for benefits (includes: medical, extended health, prescription drug, dental, vision, life & AD&D, Employee Share Purchase Plan, Stock Option, Relocation Expense Allowance, and RRSP) and Twenty (20) days of vacation
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the EVP & COO will play an important role in the continued growth and operational capacity of Eldorado. The EVP & COO will be accountable for delivering profitable results through providing strong leadership to all operations, ensuring that industry leading practices in safety, environment and corporate social responsibility are achieved.
The EVP & COO will also lead the projects organization to ensure the successful commissioning and start-up of new and brownfield projects. An emphasis on driving operational excellence, employee development and continued social license to operate is critical to the future success of Eldorado.
The role will appeal to professionals with the motivation, tenacity and energy to contribute to Eldorado’s operational excellence and production successes.
- Lead the development of strategic operating plans, policies, budgets, and forecasts in accordance with the company’s strategic objectives.
- Bring rigorous process to operational planning and execution in all aspects of operations and hold true accountability for delivering planned results.
- Deliver and achieve reasonable practical operating plans aligned with Eldorado’s strategic plan. Consistent with a commitment to continuous improvement, achieve year-over-year improvements in, safety, environmental responsibility, cost management, and equipment utilization.
- Provide leadership to advance the projects portfolio from initial permitting, to detailed engineering into development, through to construction and overseeing the transitions therein. Work in concert with the CEO to steer the permitting and regulatory process, in a manner that is collaborative, inclusive and protective of the Company’s reputation.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the development and enforcement of environmental and safety programs and the continuing development of training programs.
- Ensure all duties are performed safely and in compliance with government regulations as well as company policies.
- Ensure the Company’s short and long-term production targets and schedules and mine plans are met. Oversee, the planning and coordination of mining and processing activities to achieve safe, timely, and cost-effective results.
- Identify, formulate and expand the development of effective plans and procedures to ensure maximum operating efficiencies including cost controls. Formulate annual operating and capital budgets and optimize those expenditures.
- Maintain proactive and open communication with senior operations management teams, providing accurate data on the operation, as well as insightful interpretation of that data.
- Participate in the development of employees and provide opportunity for career growth through a demonstrated commitment on the part of the Company to provide challenges, appropriate opportunities and rewards.
- Support and continue to build on the strong reputation of Eldorado in the region through fostering strong relationships with local communities, First Nations and other external stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A technical degree such as mining engineering, chemical engineering, geological engineering, mineral process engineering, geology or equivalent is required;
- Fifteen plus years working experience in mining or mineral processing with at least five years in a senior operating position and corporate management roles at the VP level or above.
- Significant experience in managing global operations and businesses in multiple countries and a capability of working in a variety of different cultures.
- Solid technical background including experience in leading large and complex, and/or multi-site operations, coupled with a strong ability to lead diverse site-based projects.
- Proven track record driving best practices, improving productivity and profitability throughout operations. Reputation for delivering safe production and cost targets.
- Experience in operating and capital budgeting with strong cost management skills; understanding of financial controls and the difference between operating and financial reporting, and capital and operating expenses.
- Proven track record of leadership and experience in attracting and retaining a high-performing and diversified leadership team, creating a teamwork environment built on core values and positive workplace culture coaching, development and accountability for achieving results.
- Exceptional communication with the ability to be effective both at the mine site and in the boardroom. Open communication style to promote dialogue, share important information and create trust and confidence.
- Experienced in working constructively with governments, communities (including indigenous people) and special interest groups.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and technical complexity coupled by flexibility and adaptability. Demonstrated tenacity and persistence in changing environments and challenging industrial operations. Has experience beyond steady state mining operations.
- Available for frequent travel as needed, both domestic and international.