Reporting directly to the Manager, CESL Operations, and indirectly to Teck Coal’s Superintendent of Water Operations, the General Supervisor is responsible for a number of direct reports and is indirectly responsible for all Technical Services, Processing (TS,P) resources in the Elk Valley. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to establish a fresh culture of responsibility and technical excellence to a rapidly expanding organization. This position is based out of Sparwood, but travel to all Teck Coal sites supporting Water Quality Management (WQM) initiatives will be required.
The Elk Valley Water Quality Plan (EVWQP) guides Teck’s efforts to ensure watershed health. Teck Coal’s WQM group is responsible for achieving Teck’s commitments under the plan by implementing water quality mitigations through both treatment and the support of Research and Development work to identify additional sustainable options. TS,P will be providing a significant number of the resources needed to execute WQM’s current and future water initiatives. TS,P is a business unit within Teck that provides support to all of Teck’s locations with services ranging from project identification to project execution.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Establish and maintain a culture of responsibility and technical excellence
- Manage the process for new position requests, recruitments, promotions, transfers, terminations, severances, and retirements
- Manage resources to support all of the projects and operations as part of the EVWQP
- Work as a part of a highly collaborative team with a focus on developing talented personnel
- Manage employee development and professional development programs as well as succession management
- Oversee performance management initiatives, including the Building Strength With People program
- Manage training programs to ensure all employees are competent and capable of fulfilling role expectations
- Prepare budget and monitor overall costs to ensure proper allocation of expenditures
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent education and experience in Human Resources, Business, Organization Development, Technology Management, Science, or Engineering
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in progressively more senior Operations and Supervisory roles within a large multi-site industrial organization
- A strong leader with a proven track record of mentoring and motivating technical and professional personnel
- Supervisory experience in preferably both industrial operations and research and development organizations
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Experience with effective training program development and delivery
- Good understanding of professional development pathways, both technical and managerial
- Ability to effectively manage resource allocation while ensuring personnel professional development
- Ability to manage in a dynamic environment while maintaining high standards
- Possess a strong technical and operational background
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.