Reporting directly to the Manager, Technical Services Richmond and indirectly to Teck Coal’s Superintendent, Water Operations, the General Supervisor, Water Operations is responsible for managing and allocating Technical Services resources in the Elk Valley. The role’s primary function will be to ensure competent technical personnel are in place to support Elk Valley Water Quality Plan (EVWQP) execution. Specific responsibilities will include resource planning, hiring, training management, and professional development. The General Supervisor has a number of direct reports and is indirectly responsible for all Technical Services personnel in the Elk Valley.
The EVWQP guides Teck’s efforts to ensure watershed health. This role will play a critical part in achieving Teck’s commitments under the plan to implement water quality mitigations through both treatment and the support of research and development work to identify additional sustainable options. By 2025 Teck expects to increase its current treatment capacity by an order of magnitude. To develop economic treatment, Teck has significant investments in research and development, including the execution of medium to large scale trials.
Maintaining an extension of Technical Services in the Elk Valley, the successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to develop and maintain a fresh culture of responsibility and technical excellence to a rapidly expanding organization. This is a new position that will develop with EVWQP execution. As such, candidate roles and responsibilities are expected to adjust with time.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop and maintain a culture of responsibility and technical excellence
- Manage the process for new position requests, recruitments, promotions, transfers, terminations, severances, and retirements
- Manage resources to support all of the projects and operations as part of the EVWQP
- Work as a part of a highly collaborative team with a focus on developing talented personnel
- Develop recruitment methodology as well as manage employee development programs including Technical and Professional development programs, Leading for the Future, Leading for Excellence, GDBA, and MBA programs as well as succession management
- Oversee performance management initiatives
- Manage operational training documentation, systems, and scheduling to ensure all employees are competent and capable of fulfilling role expectations
- Support budget development and monitor overall operational costs to ensure proper allocation of expenditures
- Support Operational Readiness activities such as staffing plans and training execution
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent education and experience, in Human Resources, Business, Organization Development, Technology Management, Science, or Engineering
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in progressively more senior Operations/Supervisory roles within a large multi-site industrial organization
- A strong leader with a proven track record of mentoring and motivating technical and professional personnel
- Supervisory experience in preferably both industrial operations and research and development organizations
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Experience with effective training program development and delivery
- A good understanding of professional development pathways, both technical and managerial
- Ability to effectively manage resource allocation while ensuring personnel professional development
- Agility to manage in a dynamic environment while maintaining high standards
- Possess a strong technical and operational background
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.