Skeena Resources Limited is a Canadian exploration mining company, focused on working towards the restart of the past producing Eskay Creek gold-silver mine with additional development projects in our portfolio, all located in Tahltan Territory in the Golden Triangle of northwest British Columbia, Canada. Eskay Creek was the highest-grade gold mine in the world when in production. The mine produced 3.3 million ounces of gold and 160 million ounces of silver at average grades of 45 g/t gold and 2,224 g/t silver from 1994-2008.
As a Skeena employee, you will become part of a dynamic, innovative, and results-driven work environment. You will be given assignments to challenge yourself and your skillset, working alongside colleagues with diverse backgrounds and cultures. We value Health and Safety, the Environment, and the Communities within which we operate, and work collaboratively with our Indigenous partners, leveraging traditional knowledge and respect for the land. By joining our team, you will become part of an organization driven by opportunity, entrepreneurship, and business results.
Job Title: Geological Technicians – Term Positions
Reporting to the Exploration Manager, the Geological Technician will be responsible for various tasks that support the work of the exploration team at the company’s Eskay Creek project in northwestern British Columbia. Responsibilities include preparing drill core for the Core Logging Geologist, collecting and entering geotechnical data into the database and assisting with the sampling process. The ideal candidate will be someone who has practical field experience with precious metals exploration and diamond drilling programs.
This position is seasonal in nature and the duration of the contact may be up to 6 months, depending on workload and drill program needs. The position is scheduled to start in June 2022.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• Prepare diamond drill core for Core Logging Geologists (metering, marking core boxes etc.)
• Collecting and entering geotechnical data from the drill core into the company’s database system using techniques documented in the company’s exploration manual
• Complying with QA/QC sampling procedures (insertion of duplicates, blanks and standards)
• Bring any quality control issues immediately to the attention of the geologist and be proactive by offering potential solutions
• Monitor and review samples prepared by core cutters to ensure consistency and quality prior to packing in rice bags for shipment to the analytical laboratory
• Preparation of sample shipment paperwork, receiving document approvals from the Exploration Manager, and communicating with the analytical laboratory
• Participation in drill site visits, drill collar surveying and field equipment maintenance as directed by supervisor
• Perform other duties as assigned
The Ideal Candidate/Required Skills/Experience:
• Must have a high school diploma;
• Practical field experience with exploration and core processing techniques would be an asset;
• Strong math skills and the ability to work with numbers throughout the day;
• The candidate should demonstrate a high level of energy, self-motivation, and strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
• Excellent interpersonal skills together with an ability to facilitate commitment to a cooperative team effort;
• Excellent English communication skills, both orally and written and the ability to work with all levels of the organization;
• Strong computer skills including use of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint etc.) and related database software;
• Adaptable to an ever changing high-demand work environment, with the ability to work in remote or challenging physical environments, including lifting and moving core boxes/sample bags and hiking in undeveloped terrain;
• Ability to work a rotational schedule and live onsite in a camp environment for extended periods of time;
This position involves working at a remote exploration site on a two week on/two week off rotation. The Eskay Creek project is located within the Coast Mountains of Northwestern British Columbia and Tahltan Territory. Transportation would be provided from Telegraph Creek, Dease Lake and Iskut as well as charter flights from Vancouver, Kamloops, Prince George, Terrace and Smithers with shuttles from either the Bob Quinn airport or Terrace Airport to Eskay Creek camp facilities.
There will be exposure to extreme temperatures in all seasons including working outdoors in snow, mud, ice, and water conditions, walking to and from different locations on uneven ground, prolonged periods of standing and physically handling/lifting/moving heavy objects.
To apply by email, send your cover letter and resume in Word or .pdf format to email@example.com, by May 10th, 2021. Include your NAME and JOB TITLE in the subject line of your e-mail response. Priority hiring consideration will be given to Indigenous Nation members in whose traditional territories our projects are located. All Applicants MUST be legally entitled to work in Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.