Reporting to the Laboratory Supervisor, Water Treatment, the Laboratory Technician, Water Treatment is responsible for the safe and efficient execution of site laboratory functions, including site sampling plan implementation, which involves water technician laboratory training and competency verification, accurate sampling, sample analysis, and the recording and reporting of results. Laboratory technicians will be trained to work in all facilities and will be expected to rotate between facilities as needed. Travel time to the assigned site will not be included as part of working hours with the proposed schedule being seven days on and seven days off.
The Elk Valley Water Quality Plan (EVWQP) guides Teck’s efforts to ensure watershed health. Teck Coal’s Water Quality Management Group (WQM) is responsible for achieving Teck’s commitments under the plan by implementing water quality mitigations through both treatment and the support of Research and Development work to identify additional sustainable options. TS,P will be providing a significant number of the resources needed to execute WQM’s current and future water initiatives. TS,P is a business unit within Teck that provides support to all of Teck’s locations with services ranging from project identification to project execution.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Responsible for site lab facilities including; safety, site personnel training, and assistance, lab maintenance, lab inventory management, and instrument calibration
- Ensure lab compliance with British Columbia and federal legislation
- Run the site laboratory quality management system, including procedures and standards
- Deliver laboratory training programs to ensure the safety and competency of all personnel collecting samples or performing assays
- Manage site samples collected and sent to external laboratories
- Lead the site Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Increase lab efficiency through automation including automatic data uploads, assay automation, lab centralization, and the replacement of lab assays with online field instruments
- Perform other related duties as required
- Post-Secondary education, College Diploma, or University Degree in Engineering or Sciences, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum three years’ experience in a laboratory, or water and waste water treatment plant
- Level III Wastewater Treatment certificate is an asset
- General knowledge of water & waste water treatment technology and processes as well as a mechanical understanding of process equipment
- Analytical laboratory experience is required
- Previous experience with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) & Human Machine Interface (HMI) control systems is considered an asset
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making abilities
- Computer literate and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office®. Especially Excel and other data management tools
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Valid Class 5 British Columbia Driver's License or equivalent
- Ability to travel to site depending on assigned facility
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.