Reporting to the Senior Coordinator, Environment, the Lead, Environment is responsible for environmental monitoring and reporting, influencing the improvement of compliance performance at site, and representing the operation at business unit and corporate working groups. This role supervises a team of internal and external environmental professionals who are responsible for delivery of environmental compliance programs across the operation.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Lead and supervise environmental management and monitoring programs and projects required to maintain compliance with laws, permits, and Teck’s sustainability initiatives, objectives and requirements, which may include water quality and use, air, climate change, soil, and waste management depending on that position’s focus
- Utilize appropriate project management controls to maintain project costs, schedules, and deliverables
- Prepare various professional reports, applications, and submissions for internal and government audiences
- Lead, develop, and deliver environmental awareness programs at the operation
- Build and maintain internal inter-departmental working relationships to facilitate environmental education, operational compliance, and to support safe, efficient, and sustainable mining operations
- Participate in business unit environmental working groups to develop best management practices and guidance to standardize delivery and implementation of environmental projects, programs, and compliance tools
- Participate in development of and lead site requirements for execution of business unit-led environmental projects including reclamation, vegetation, and access management, wildlife, and fisheries monitoring
- Implement the Environmental Management System for the operation, including managing audits and inspections, maintaining conformance to ISO 14001 standards and identifying risks and opportunities, and administer internal environmental compliance tracking tools
- Supervise a team of internal and external environmental professionals, including technicians and contractors, who are responsible for delivery of environmental compliance programs across the operation
- Be responsible for contractor management to ensure work is being conducted safely and in accordance with project scope, including adherence to company Environmental, Health, Safety, and Community, and Environmental Protection Work Plans
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Science or Engineering degree in an environmental-related field preferred
- Minimum five years’ experience in environmental management preferred, in the natural resource sector, preferably in mining
- Sound working knowledge and experience in water, air, waste management and contaminated site remediation, or reclamation, including data analysis, interpretation, and reporting preferred
- Knowledge of environmental best management practices and systems, compliance or auditing preferred
- Experience with GIS and environmental monitoring databases such as EQUiS preferred
- Technical knowledge of relevant federal and provincial environmental laws and policies
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings, including technical writing, data analysis, and reporting
- Ability to influence hourly and staff employees at all levels of the operation to improve environmental compliance
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively as a team member, a supervisor of employees and contractors, and with external communities of interest including regulatory agencies and First Nations
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.