Reporting to the Senior Lead, Environmental Data Management, the Lead, Environmental Data Management is responsible for executing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) analysis functions, developing and implementing GIS models, developing user documentation and training materials to ensure Teck Coal can meet regulatory and corporate commitments, and maintain social license to operate.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Coordinate and prioritize activities of the Data Management Analysts to ensure business support requirements are met in a timely manner
- Liaise with business personnel to determine and evaluate data management requirements to develop appropriate data/analysis solutions (project or business specific)
- Implement high-end cartographic products to support business initiatives and requirements in a standardized way
- Provide GIS analysis functions and automation to business users, and promote GIS standards wherever appropriate
- Provide advice and guidance on the use of GIS technology to team members and the GIS user group
- Streamline business processes and provide benefit through the use of GIS technology
- Develop and maintain documentation and provide customized training for GIS specific business processes
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned or required
- Diploma or Bachelor Degree in Environmental Science with a specialty in Geography, GIS, or Data/Environmental Management
- Minimum five years GIS experience related to environmental management, mining, forestry, or engineering
- Experience determining and evaluating data management requirements for implementation of medium to large scale GIS projects
- Experience developing training material and delivering effective training for new database users
- Complete understanding of GIS concepts, spatial analysis, related software integration, spatial modelling, and data quality standards
- Research, documentation, and communication skills are fundamental to this position
- Familiarity and experience with multiuser geodatabases specifically SDE
- Experience with managing projects and other team members, or functioning as a project lead.
- Experience managing contractors, including developing data standards
- Can work both independently, but can also function well in a team environment
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Motivated self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision, and able to manage several projects simultaneously
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.