Reporting to the Senior Lead, Environmental Science, the Lead, Environmental Science is responsible for providing technical input into projects related to water quality and aquatic ecosystem health to support the implementation of the Elk Valley Water Quality Plan and permitting for future development. The successful candidate will work within the Environment and Social Responsibility team and work interactively with other groups within Teck to provide technical support and direction regarding water quality, aquatic health, chronic toxicity, and calcite.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide technical advice and input for matters related to regional water quality and aquatic ecosystem health
- Provide technical support for permit application projects that could affect regional water quality such as; applications for mining projects, water quality treatment facilities, and calcite treatment facilities
- Provide technical and strategic input on regional water quality and aquatic health assessments, planning, and monitoring projects and programs, with a particular focus on EMA Permit 107517 programs (tributary management, adaptive management plan, water quality modelling, applied research and development, and human health assessments)
- Lead consulting teams who deliver relevant water-related plans and programs
- Develop and maintain working relationships with government agencies, Aboriginal groups, and other local communities of interest to support implementation of the Elk Valley Water Quality Plan
- Understand applicable commitments, permits, and associated requirements so that appropriate information is considered to inform management decisions and activities
- Prepare and submit all necessary data and reports to meet regulatory and other commitments, including presentation of technical information to a variety of audiences
- Provide technical review and direction on data collection, quality assurance, and quality control, management, and analysis of environmental data to inform management actions and decisions
- Communicate data in a clear and understandable format suitable for the intended audience to inform mine operations, permitting, water management, and support process to gain resolution of any issues or challenges
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Engineering or Science degree in environmental-related field
- Minimum seven years’ experience providing technical and strategic input on water and aquatic health related risks associated with resource management
- Technical knowledge of federal and provincial compliance practices and regulations related to water quality, aquatic health, and resource development is required
- Hold a professional designation and meet the BC provincial requirements of a qualified professional for applicable monitoring and assessment programs is an asset
- Technical understanding of water chemistry and experience with risk evaluation related to water quality, quantity, and receptors (aquatic and human health)
- Excellent project management experience with a track record that includes management and technical direction of multiple environmental projects and budgets
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Proficient in environmental data management, analysis, and reporting
- Ability to manage multiple priorities to see projects to completion and to meet challenges directly
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.