Reporting to the Senior Engineer Supervisor, Operations Business Improvement, the Lead, Haul Road and Tire management is responsible for providing subject matter expertise to the Teck Coal Business Unit (BU) in the areas of haulage truck tire management, haul road design, construction, and maintenance, and continuous improvement leading to increased tire life and lower tire costs.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Act as the central contact point for all issues related to tires and haul roads
- Understand tire supply contracts and participate in the annual determination and nomination of tire requirements
- Develop standards for the design, construction, and maintenance of haul roads using best and leading practices
- Develop standards for haul truck tire management using best and leading practices
- Develop both site and BU related Key Performance Indicators to manage, sustain, and improve tire performance
- Understand site haul road distances, profiles, and the effect on tire life to adjust tire specifications prior to ordering and allocating
- Develop understanding of which tires perform on which type of haul such as flat, uphill loaded, and downhill loaded
- Lead continuous improvement in tire and road management through engagement and facilitation with sites, corporate, BU purchasing departments, facilitated working groups, Operations Excellence, and external parties
- Assist sites with implementation of standards through gap analysis and development of action items
- Report regularly on progress and performance
- Ensure that best practices are adopted and followed through development and use of standards and guidelines. Develop appropriate auditing processes to facilitate sustainability of these practices
- Maintain understanding of current inventory at sites as well as short term supply being shipped to Teck
- Work with tire manufacturers and sites to improve tire performance
- High School diploma, or equivalent
- Post-Secondary schooling would be an asset
- Minimum five years operational experience related to shovel and haulage truck operation, combined with support equipment capabilities
- Tire management, or relevant, experience an asset
- Open Pit ShiftBoss ticket would be an asset
- Mining experience must include knowledge of haul road construction and maintenance in a large open pit mine utilizing large off-highway vehicles
- Knowledge of off-highway vehicle tire construction and use
- Understanding of how haul road design and maintenance can impact tire life
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationship
- Demonstrated leadership, influencing, and problem-solving skills
- Display excellent communication skills at all levels including senior management, front line supervisory employees and regulatory authorities
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to function at a high performance level with minimal supervision
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.