Reporting to the Supervisor, Mining Systems, the Lead, Mining Systems is responsible for providing leadership and direction to a high performing team of professionals that deliver and maintain leading edge technology that is transforming the way Teck operates its large-scale mining operations worldwide. Technologies include autonomous and tele-remote equipment, rugged mobile computers, and systems to optimize fleet management, machine guidance, geotechnical monitoring, and operator safety. This position offers a compressed workweek with alternating Friday’s off, and comes with a competitive pay and benefits package.
The mining systems team is responsible for a large portfolio of business-critical systems that are used to optimize the safety, productivity, and environmental sustainability of Teck’s mining operations. The successful candidate will collaborate with innovative software, hardware, and service suppliers to develop, deliver and maintain these systems. They will provide technical leadership for projects in the $100K to $10M range. Annual value of business impacted by these projects may exceed $25 million.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Lead and direct a high performing team of technology professionals including managing performance, mentoring, and coaching
- Identify, deliver, and maintain digital mining systems across all Teck operations prioritizing safe production. Systems include equipment automation and tele-remote, fleet management, high precision guidance, geotechnical monitoring, and operator safety, among others
- Negotiate purchases and agreements for services or products, and mange contractors and consultants
- Support innovation initiatives at Teck that employ technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Internet of Things, and Augmented/Virtual Reality initiatives
- Provide technical leadership to Teck’s autonomous haulage and integrated operations initiatives
- Assist with preparation and management of budgets, and employee performance management
- Work with people at all levels in the organization to drive the successful adoption of new technology
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems
- Facilitate and support cyber-security improvements, incident response, and forensics
- Develop and maintain standards and policies
- Work with other technology leaders to help shape and evolve Teck’s digital technology strategy
- Bachelors or Postgraduate Degree in Computer Engineering or Software Engineering is preferred. Other engineering disciplines or a Computer Science degree may be considered
- Eight or more years of progressively senior level experience delivering and supporting information technology systems in an industrial setting, preferably in mining
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with digital mining systems such as fleet management, high precision guidance, geotechnical monitoring, vehicle-mounted safety, or related systems
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating systems, virtualization, Active Directory and computer networking fundamentals is required. Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating systems would be an asset
- Experience working with WiFi, LTE, and wired networks that employ an ISA-99 or a similar multi-zone security model would be an asset
- Knowledge of Cyber Security principles would be an asset
- Knowledge of serial, CANBUS, and digital I/O interfaces and related communication protocols would be an asset
- Excellent program and project management skills and strong knowledge of business analysis techniques
- Demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to coach and mentor
- Strong commitment to customer satisfaction and the ability to maintain strong relationships with business leaders, and application users
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously and within a highly distributed team environment
- Excellent analytical, root cause analysis, and problem solving skills
- Valid class five driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Ability to travel as necessary to support Teck’s mining operations in North and South America
- Working level Spanish would be an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.