Lead, Social Responsibility
Teck Coal – Sparwood Shared Services, near Sparwood, BC
Posting Date: July 4, 2019
Closing Date: July 18, 2019
Reporting to the Manager, Social Responsibility, the Lead, Social Responsibility is responsible for the management of social risk, including engaging with communities of interest in relation to the sustainable operation of Teck’s Elk Valley operations. The position will also be responsible for supporting internal clients including: Manager, Regulatory Approvals; Manager, Biodiversity and Closure; Manager, Landscape Conservation; Manager, Environmental Operations; Manager, Regional Water Monitoring; and Manager, Applied Research and Development. This position has one direct report: Coordinator, Social Responsibility.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Support engagement with indigenous communities, the general public, and communities, including interested individuals, community groups, and organizations
- Ensure public consultation requirements are met for external commitments to communities
- Identify issues, recommend and implement changes to the consultation and engagement processes within the Coal business unit
- Participate in, and support, Teck’s Social, Environmental, and Regulatory Approvals (SERA) framework
- Supervise Elk Valley corporate affairs, advertising, and communications development and deployment including an Elk Valley social media strategy
- Manage social risk, including community reporting on leading and lagging indicators
- Project social risk analysis, and provide direction relating to project scope, and impacts to communities of interest
- Provide briefings to internal audiences, external councils, boards, community group members, and advisory groups
- Participate in process improvement initiatives
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Post-secondary degree in Social Responsibility, Sustainability, a business discipline with a significant community engagement component, or an unrelated degree with applicable work experience
- Five to eight years’ experience including social responsibility or sustainability, community engagement, land stewardship, or urban geography
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Excellent computer skills with the Microsoft Office Suite®; Especially Word and Excel
- Self-motivated, capable of working under minimal supervision, and functions best in high performance work environments
- Experience participating in public engagements; a skilled and energetic presenter who must be comfortable in front of any audience
- High levels of creativity, enthusiasm, personal integrity, with strong commitment to a dynamic team environment
- Excellent project management skills and experience in managing multiple projects and competing priorities
- Ability to function collaboratively with external agencies and other departments and units within the business
- Experience in recording and responding to stakeholder feedback
- Experience handling sensitive issues
- Understanding of First Nations culture and issues faced by First Nations peoples
- Integrity, respect, and solution focused, with a commitment to inclusive, participatory, and sustainable community development
- Valid driver’s license (minimum BC Class 7N or equivalent)
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.