Reporting to the Senior Maintenance Engineer, Water Operations, the Maintenance Engineer, Water Quality Management is responsible for leading development of a comprehensive maintenance and reliability strategy for active water treatment facilities as part of large-scale aqueous selenium removal. Water Operations’ purpose is to operate these facilities efficiently as part of Teck’s overall commitment to meet the requirements of EMA permit 107517 and the objectives of the Elk Valley Water Quality Plan. Currently operating the West Line Creek, Active Water Treatment Facility and Elkview, Saturated Rock Fill, by 2025 Teck expects to increase its current treatment capacity by an order of magnitude. The biological nature of these systems requires high system availability to ensure effluent quality. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintenance, reliability, and small project execution.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Work closely with Maintenance Planners to manage maintenance activities including contractor management, work order approval and prioritization, shutdown planning and execution, and cost control
- Develop a reliability program that balances preventative maintenance, spare part inventory, trade readiness with costs, and facility availability requirements
- Direct the development and completion of engineering deliverables required to improve reliability and decrease costs such as engineering packages, conceptual desktop level studies, and capital and maintenance cost assessments and reports
- Participate in detailed design, maintainability, and reliability reviews for new operations to ensure maintenance requirements are met
- Ensure maintenance systems and resources are in place for new facilities prior to commissioning
- Develop and execute maintenance support plans to meet commissioning peek resource expectations
- Develop maintenance budgets annually
- Support appropriate project and environmental risk management including participation in FMEAs, HAZOPs, and environmental risk assessments
- Provide field engineering support during construction and other field activities, including contractor supervision when required
- Troubleshoot processing systems and implement design changes
- Perform other responsibilities as the Water Operations group matures
- Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree
- Registered, or eligible for registration, with Engineers and Geoscientist of British Columbia (EGBC)
- Minimum three years of experience in a similar industry
- Maintenance or reliability experience in an industrial operation
- Large project experience considered an asset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
- Ability to understand technical drawings as well as write and review technical specifications
- Ability to lead a highly collaborative team with a focus on delivering value and promoting sharing of best practices across operations and projects
- Skilled in building relationships across multi-disciplinary technical teams and work as an effective team leader to deliver on project requirements
- Experience with organizational dynamics and excellent conflict resolution skills
- Motivated self-starter, with the ability to work under minimal supervision and manage several priorities simultaneously
- Flexibility to work in a changing environment
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.