Reporting to the General Manager, Water Quality Management, the Manager, Water Planning is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of a strategy for managing water quality in the Elk Valley.
This role will lead the improvement of the link between mine planning/design and water planning. The successful candidate will help facilitate communication and knowledge transfer between the other functional areas within the integrated water framework as well as other support areas within the Coal Environmental Group. This role will be responsible for aligning mine planning, design, and operations with water planning including, making updates to the Water Quality Implementation Plan to ensure cost effective, technically current, integrated solutions that are compliant with regulatory commitments and utilizes the existing business unit planning process.
This role is also required to actively present and communicate Water Quality Management’s activates to all levels of Teck Resources senior leadership and Government.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Lead the development of, and operationalizing, the vision, mission and strategy for WQM to maintain and strengthen organizational clarity and integration within the WQM group
- Coach and mentor both direct reports, as well as others within the Business Unit (BU), to help support, develop, and retain employees
- Facilitate and lead strategic planning and maintain a flexible water quality mitigation plan to support continued mining
- Gather and incorporate both internal and external drivers and ensure integration with the overall strategy for the Coal BU
- Strengthen the link between strategy and execution of the mitigation plan in order to support the objectives of the Elk Valley Water Quality Plan, Implementation Plan Adjustment, Calcite Management Plan, and Strategic Implementation Plan
- Facilitate and lead the business planning processes for the five year plan, annual operation plan and budget, and annual Decommissioning and Restoration Provision for WQM
- Review Coal finance lead business planning processes for monthly accruals and actuals, monthly forecasts, long-term (20 year) water forecast (in collaboration with finance, review and keep up-to date on a quarterly basis), and update and maintain water treatment cost models
- Lead the improved integration of water with mine planning including the integration of different Research and Development (R&D) treatment technologies to reduce the need for active treatment and support continued permitting and mining
- Support and facilitate the integration and execution of innovative water treatment technologies, such as Saturated Rock Fills and Gravel Bed Bioreactors, in order to advance these technologies to augment or replace active water treatment
- Lead the calcite management program, from R&D through to operations, through the Calcite Lead and Calcite Program Manager
- Develop and lead the nickel management program, from R&D through to operation, through the Nickel Program Manager
- Maintain the water treatment cost model to support the strategic and business planning process, updates to the business as well as to inform other cost related activities such as long-term liability estimates
- Assist with quarterly disclosure and provide guidance to Teck Resources as related to medium and long-term capital allocation and operating costs
- Communicate and present WQM updates to the Water Steering Committee and Senior Executives of the Company
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a Science related degree or diploma in environment, geology, geochemistry, mine design, or related field
- Eight to ten years of progressively senior level experience in water management and mine planning related environments
- Experience in long-range mine planning, mine design practices, and water treatment options and practices is an asset
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, including leading change and making recommendations
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Skills to interact and communicate across multiple sites
- Experience with the budgeting process
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and decision making abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate with the senior leaders of the company on complicated topics
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.