Reporting to the Manager, Geological Engineering, the Principal Engineer, Geotechnical is responsible for managing and supporting site based geological engineering teams, supporting the operational geotechnical needs of the operation, and managing various geotechnical projects for the Coal Business Unit.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Oversee site geotechnical programs, including geotechnical monitoring systems, providing support for analysis and design, and implement continuous improvement measures
- Serve as a subject matter expert with respect to geological engineering in an open pit environment
- Apply geotechnical expertise to rock slopes, waste dumps, blast vibration analysis, soil slopes and foundations, and tailings dams along with other water retention structures
- Stamp professional reports, as required
- Design and implement programs (both technical and training) to identify, eliminate, or mitigate geotechnical hazards, close gaps, and improve designs
- Supervise, train, and mentor geotechnical engineering personnel
- Coordinate and review work by external geotechnical consultants
- Review short and long range plans for geotechnical hazards, data gaps, and design deficiencies
- Work with all site departments and corporate staff to ensure that mining activities and site projects progress safely and in accordance with sound geotechnical engineering principles
- Perform regular geotechnical inspections of mine site facilities, report on the inspections, and provide recommendations to the Mine Operations and Processing groups
- Play an active role in Teck’s geotechnical community of practice through ongoing collaboration with site geotechnical personnel and corporate engineering group
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Geological, Geotechnical, Environmental Engineering, or a related discipline is required
- Registered as a P.Eng. with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC)
- Minimum 12 years’ relevant geotechnical experience, including a recent geotechnical role at a large open pit mining operation
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite®, Rocscience software packages such as Slide, Dips, SWEDGE, RocFall, and preferably Phase2/RS2, AutoCAD, and/or Minesight software systems
- Experience in geotechnical data analysis, site investigations, project evaluation and management. Advanced analytical, problem solving, risk analysis, and decision making abilities
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills, including conflict resolution
- Exceptional communication (both written and oral), organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to excel in a team based environment
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.