Reporting to the Manager, Geological Engineering, the Principal Engineer, Tailings is responsible for ensuring compliance with Teck’s tailings and water retention structure management system, and with corporate and legal requirements as they evolve. The successful candidate will working with site departments, tailings personnel, and the engineers of record towards the safe operation, surveillance, and ongoing maintenance of the tailings facility and water impoundment dams. Additionally they will work to integrate new tailings related facilities and components into the tailings management system, to ensure sufficient tailings capacity for site needs, and to work towards closure of tailings facilities.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide technical guidance on tailings management related issues, serve as a Subject Matter Expert, and lead a team of tailings and dam safety professionals
- Coordinate activities with consultants, project engineers, processing, environment, necessary Teck corporate entities, contractors, and government regulators as required
- Develop budgets and track costs on tailings related activities
- Play an active role in Teck’s tailings community of practice through ongoing collaboration with personnel at other Teck operations and corporate the Tailings Working Group
- Coordinate routine inspections of in-pit and external tailings facilities, and various site water dam structures with site based team members. Ensure completion of reports on those inspections and provide recommendations to the engineering, environment, and processing groups
- Develop and refine tailings plans that will achieve regulatory compliance. Provide necessary reporting to site, corporate, and government agencies
- Work with the engineering, environmental, and processing teams to develop short and long term tailings deposition plans, and maintenance plans and schedules
- Apply change management processes for tailings-related activities
- Supervise, train, and mentor tailings and geotechnical engineering personnel
- Work with the Tailings Storage Facility, Engineer of Record to continuously improve and implement the dam surveillance programs and tailings governance
- Provide updates to operating, maintenance, and surveillance manuals, along with emergency preparedness and response plans, and other management system documents
- Plan, organize, develop, and maintain a tailings data library
- Perform other tasks as required or as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Geological, Geotechnical, Environmental Engineering, or a related discipline is required
- Must be a member of Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC) or eligible to register as a P. Eng
- Must be considered a Qualified Person for tailings and dams
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with mine tailings management and/or water dam management
- Previous experience with Canadian Dam Association guidelines and Mining Association of Canada tailings protocols is required
- Oil sands tailings operational experience, including dyke construction planning and execution, would be highly regarded
- Advanced computer skills including proficiency in tailings modeling and design and Microsoft Office Suite® applications
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, risk analysis, and decision making abilities
- Exceptional communication (both written and oral), organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to excel in a team based environment
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills are essential
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.