Reporting to the Senior Process Engineer, the Process Control Engineer is responsible for leading process control improvements that drive value to Teck. The successful candidate will work in collaboration with Plant Operations, Maintenance, and Engineering to safely, and economically, deliver changes that will optimize plant performance.
The Process Control Engineer will work closely with the Plant Electrical department and the Information Systems and Technology group, following best practices and guiding the strategy regarding processing systems and technologies. Technologies include process automation, remote operations, thin client human machine interfaces (HMI), optimization systems, machine learning, and operator safety systems.
This position offers a compressed workweek with alternating Fridays off, and comes with a competitive pay and benefits package.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Work as part of a highly collaborative team with a focus on delivering value and promoting sharing of best practices across operations
- Drive and set strategy for the Elkview Processing Plant automation group
- Engage people at all levels in the organization, across all Teck operations, and corporate offices
- Support innovation initiatives at Teck such as Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Internet of Things, and Augmented / Virtual Reality initiatives
- Provide design and implementation support to major projects including green field projects
- Draft capital Appropriation Requests (ARs) and Project Charters
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems
- Define, implement, support, and continuously improve leading edge systems that optimize safety, sustainability, and productivity
- Monitor for system problems and provide emergency support
- Adhere to departmental change control policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain documentation of standards and best practices
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Computer Science with an Automation focus
- Minimum of five years’ experience maintaining, troubleshooting, designing regulatory and advance process control strategies in mineral processing or other industry
- Experience in solids basic control such as actuators, sensors, control strategy, and loop tuning
- Experience with instrumentation, PLC/DCS, HMI, historian, communications
- Knowledge of Advance Process Control (e.g. MPC); simulation (e.g. Matlab, loop tuning software)
- Rockwell and Wonderware experience and training are preferred
- Testing and commissioning work experience
- Ability to document work
- Team player with the ability to mentor and coach fellow co-workers
- Detail and action oriented, but also able to think strategically delivering a value added service strategy
- Highly motivated individual that is able to work independently
- Must be eligible for Professional Engineer membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and GeoScientists of the Province of British Columbia (EGBC);
- Valid class five driver’s license with a clean driving record
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.