Reporting to the Purchasing Supervisor, the Purchasing Agent is responsible for ensuring compliance with various policies and procedures, as well as obtaining the best total value in the acquisition of materials and services to meet the ongoing needs of the Business Unit and support all Materials Shared Service initiatives.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure a timely, cost effective supply of materials and services
- Implement procedural enhancements, and strive to streamline business practices
- Contribute to the design, development, and training of Enterprise Resource Planning system enhancements
- Ensure compliance with existing departmental operating policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with all suppliers and monitor Key Performance Indicators
- Develop, implement, and manage cost savings ideas
- Provide mentorship to direct reports
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the department in procurement activities including contract writing and administration, bidding, negotiating, and strategic planning
- Plan and execute Request for Proposal (RFP) processes, evaluating proposals, and make recommendations for award
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to determine necessity for amendments, extensions, and compliance to contractual obligations
- Prepare and execute negotiation strategies
- Negotiate contract terms and conditions while maintaining supplier relationships
- Liaise and coordinate closely with the project managers, project teams, project services disciplines, and corporate shared service groups
- Provide guidance to Project Managers and project teams in regards to contract management strategies, options, and considerations throughout all stages of contract lifecycles
- Implement effective change management to ensure contract modifications are properly evaluated, documented, and approved
- Resolve issues that arise between contractors and project teams in a professional and proactive manner
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Post-secondary diploma, degree, certificate, or designation such as Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) or similar Supply Management program would be preferable, while Accounting or Business related designations may be considered
- Minimum five years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills, proven interpersonal skills, and follow-up skills are required
- Excellent computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite®, especially Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Self-motivated and capable of working under minimal supervision and function best in high performance work environments
- Excellent negotiating, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Advanced understanding and experience with various contract types, models, and strategies
- Able to raise awareness of contract activities which have an impact to a project
- Previous supervisory experience would be an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.