Reporting to the Materials Superintendent, the Purchasing Supervisor is responsible for ensuring compliance with various policies and procedures, as well as obtaining the best total value in the acquisition of materials and services to meet the ongoing needs of mines, and support all Materials Shared Service initiatives.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure a timely, cost effective, supply of items as directed by the Materials Management Superintendent
- Maximize employee performance, implement procedural enhancements, and strive to streamline business practices
- Ensure timely completion of assigned duties and projects
- Contribute to the design, development, and training of Enterprise Resource Planning system enhancements
- Contribute to the ongoing integrity of the purchasing system, and ensure that the purchasing department continues to meet user department needs
- Ensure compliance with existing departmental operating policies and procedures
- Manage and evaluate employee performance against specified targets and goals
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with all suppliers and monitor Key Performance Indicators
- Develop, implement, and manage cost savings ideas
- Provide mentorship to direct and indirect reports
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the department in procurement activities including contract writing, administration, bidding, negotiating, and strategic planning
- Evaluate & monitor contract performance to determine necessity for amendments, extensions of contracts, and compliance to contractual obligations
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Post-secondary diploma, degree, certificate, or designation such as: SCMA or a similar Supply Management program would be preferable, while Accounting or Business related designations may be considered beneficial; and/or
- Minimum five years of experience in a materials role
- Strong written and oral communication skills, proven interpersonal and follow-up skills are required
- Excellent computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite®, especially Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Self-motivated, capable of working under minimal supervision, and function best in a high performance work environment
- Excellent negotiating, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Experience in the Supply Management field with a good understanding of all aspects of supply chain management; including contract structures, terms, and conditions
- Previous supervisory experience will be an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.