Reporting to the Regulatory Manager, the Regulatory Specialist is responsible for assisting in the planning and execution of regulatory related activities to support Teck’s Energy Business Unit.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Complete applications and support regulatory processes for Oil Sands Projects under Federal and Provincial legislation
- Work collaboratively with staff on the environmental, technical, and indigenous relations teams to identify and resolve regulatory issues, assist in preparing or reviewing regulatory applications, and help provide responses to regulatory and stakeholder questions
- Understand, interpret, and apply existing and emerging Provincial and Federal regulations to the Energy Business Unit
- Track regulatory conditions and commitments and ensure compliance and timely follow up
- Ensure timelines and schedules are met through proactive intervention in all aspects of Energy projects
- Liaise with regulatory and industry agencies by developing new and existing contacts within the public and private sectors, and participate in government, industry, and community committees to represent the interests of Teck Energy
- Represent Teck professionally and with integrity while interacting with internal, public, regulatory, and indigenous stakeholders
- Contribute to environmentally sound operating practices through adherence to the Teck Environmental Health Safety and Community standards
- Perform other assignments and duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Political Science, Law, or equivalent required, Master’s Degree an asset
- Three to Five years of experience in regulatory applications applicable to the mining and or oil sands sector
- Understanding of broad environmental, social, and political issues affecting mine projects
- Strong organizational, project management, and analytical skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Natural ability to deal with people, excellent communication skills, and effectively build and maintain relationships
- Motivated self-starter, calm under pressure, and able to work with minimal supervision, managing several projects and priorities simultaneously
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.