Reporting to the Engineer Superintendent, the Senior Engineer Supervisor Geotechnical is responsible for supporting the geotechnical needs of mine operations and managing various geotechnical projects at the Line Creek Operations site.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Participate and proactively contribute to all corporate safety initiatives
- Oversee site geotechnical monitoring programs, provide support for analysis and design, and implement continuous improvement measures
- Apply geotechnical expertise to rock slopes, waste dumps, blast vibration analysis, soil slopes and foundations, and tailings dams along with other water retention structures
- Design and implement programs to mitigate hazards, close gaps, and improve designs
- Supervise, train, and mentor geotechnical and tailings engineering personnel
- Coordinate and review work by external geotechnical consultants
- Identify and assist others in identifying and eliminating or mitigating geotechnical hazards
- Review short and long range plans for geotechnical hazards, data gaps, and design deficiencies
- Update mine site Standard Practices and Procedures on geotechnical matters
- Work with Mine Engineering and Mine Operations groups to ensure that mining activities progress safely and in accordance with sound geotechnical engineering principles
- Perform regular geotechnical inspections of mine site facilities; report on the inspections, and provide recommendations to the Mine Operations group
- Play an active role in Teck’s geotechnical community of practice through ongoing collaboration with geotechnical personnel at other Teck operations and corporate engineering group
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Geological, Geotechnical, or Civil Engineering
- Registration as a P.Eng. with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC)
- Minimum five years’ relevant geotechnical experience, including a recent geotechnical role at a large open pit mining operation
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite®, Rocscience software packages such as Slide, Dips, SWEDGE, RocFall, and preferably Phase2/RS2, AutoCad, and Minesight software systems
- Ability to excel in a team based environment
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills including conflict resolution
- Experience in geotechnical data analysis, site investigations, project evaluation, and management
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to multi-task
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.