Reporting to the Director, Water Strategy, the Senior Engineer Supervisor, Water Projects is responsible for leading Senior Project Engineers and Project Engineers in project management roles and directing projects to meet commitments detailed in permit 107517 and Mine’s Act permits. This position engages in all project phases, from scoping, through execution and handover, to operations including all aspects of project and construction management. This position has direct reports.
Water Quality Management project teams engage internal subject matter experts, senior management, specialist external consultants, operating sites, and regulatory agencies linking operational and permitting requirements with project activities and ensuring effective communication throughout the project cycle. Key pillars of successful project delivery include the effective application of the Teck Project Delivery and Small Project Frameworks.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Direct projects to defined outcomes that meet business objectives related to meeting permit commitments
- Lead the development of comprehensive project scope definition through effective communication and collaboration with affected groups including operating sites, environment functions, other projects, and within the Water Quality Management group
- Develop and maintain alignment between the project and affected groups on scope, schedule, and budget
- Build effective project teams that are resourced to achieve stated objectives
- Perform staff assessments and provide resource projections to enable timely training and staffing processes
- Enable projects to meet stated objectives by leading and guiding project teams while overseeing multiple projects
- Enable efficient decision processes through problem framing, information gathering, and risk evaluation
- Foster a culture of meeting and resolving challenges as they arise while adjusting required aspects to continue to meet business objectives
- Ensure effective Contractor Management and Management of Change is achieved within project development
- Contribute to the continual improvement of project delivery systems and processes to enable improved outcomes for current and future projects
- Work to grow technical expertise across the range of water quality management and environmental impacts to improve insight related to setting and meeting project objectives
- Engage in the annual business planning cycle
- University Degree in Engineering or related field
- Minimum 10 years project work experience including all aspects of project management, engineering, permitting, and construction
- Experience leading teams developing projects, overseeing, coordinating, and communicating with multiple internal resources and external parties
- Ability to build and lead a highly collaborative team with a focus on delivering value and promoting sharing of best practices across projects
- Experience with organizational dynamics and excellent conflict resolution skills
- Ability to assess employees’ strengths and weaknesses, and coach, mentor, and manage individuals for success
- Motivated self-starter, with the ability to work under minimal supervision and manage several priorities simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment including leading change and making recommendations
- Capable of working with all levels of the organization and in a team environment
- Previous experience in processing, water, waste water, or environmental projects and operations, is considered an asset
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite®: Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Registered, or eligible for registration, with the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.