Make a difference by joining our passionate Environmental Team!
Reporting to the Manager, Regulatory Approvals, the Senior Lead, Operational Regulatory Approvals is responsible for driving regulatory approvals activities for our Coal Business unit. We are looking for someone to lead and supervise a dynamic team of professionals at the coordinator and lead level, as well as coordinate with our other operations in BC and Alberta. This role is based in Sparwood, but will spend two to three days a week at our coal mining operations in the area.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of BC. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Come experience what work life balance is all about.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Coordinate the preparation and delivery of applications, and regulatory review and engagement processes for close to 100 non-major permits each year
- Mentor a team of at least five coordinators based at site in resolving permitting needs, tracking permitting progress, preparing applications, and acquiring regulatory approvals
- Interact with regulators, local Indigenous Nations, and with mine personnel across all levels and multiple departments to advise and resolve issues
- Conduct an annual forecast of operational permitting needs and timelines, and track progress against submitted applications
- Provide educational sessions regarding permitting processes
- Maintain the Permitting Guide for Non-major Projects, including an update on an annual basis
- Develop and update permit application templates and best management practices
- Provide direction on permitting strategies including required engagement activities, permitting schedules, and application approach, scope and quality
- Work with the mine operations on permit hand-over processes and operational readiness
- Understand, interpret, and advise on existing and emerging federal and provincial regulations related to permitting
- Identify areas for innovation to ensure continuous improvement of permitting processes, and direct work
- Ensure alignment and integration of permitting work with other members of the Regulatory Approvals team and with regional environmental and social responsibility programs
- Science or Engineering degree or diploma in an environmental related field, with post-graduate education an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
- Minimum 10 years demonstrated ability in regulatory approvals and project management in the natural resource sector, preferably in mining
- Outstanding skills in leading a team and ability to successfully connect with senior management
- Solid understanding of provincial and federal regulatory approvals practices, legislation and regulations, especially within B.C.
- Understanding of the B.C. Mines Act and experience in preparing Mines Act permit applications is considered an asset
- Ability to provide critical review of regulatory submissions
- Experience working with Indigenous Nations, regulatory agencies, local communities, and other partners
- Excellent planning and organizational proficiencies
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.