Reporting to the Manager, Water, the Senior Lead, Water is responsible for driving Coal Business Unit (BU) activities related to surface water, groundwater, hydrology, and operational water management. The successful candidate will lead and supervise a team of water science professionals who are responsible for delivery of water-related projects across all Teck’s coal operations. Teck is undertaking significant watershed scale monitoring programs and this position will play a key role in development and management of these programs.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop and implement surface water, groundwater, and hydrology monitoring and assessment programs
- Provide technical and strategic direction to support implementation of water management and mitigation
- Provide senior technical editing of environmental assessment applications and regulatory submissions
- Implement Teck’s water strategy in the context of the Coal BU’s Environment & Social Responsibility, on a regional and individual operation basis
- Identify areas for innovation to ensure continuous improvement of Teck’s water strategies relevant to the Coal BU’s Environment & Social Responsibility department
- Provide technical review and direction on data collection, quality assurance, and quality control, manage and analyze environmental data to inform management action, and provide interpretations of information
- Develop and maintain working relationships with government agencies, Aboriginal groups, and other local communities of interest
- Support integration of regional water monitoring programs and Teck’s Adaptive Management Plan
- Prepare and submit all necessary data and reports to meet regulatory and other commitments, including presentation of technical information to a variety of audiences
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Engineering or Science degree in an environmental related field
- Minimum 10 years’ experience leading development and implementation of water related projects and programs, specific to water monitoring and management, and risk evaluation related to water quality, quantity, and receptors
- Technical knowledge of federal and provincial mining water practices and regulations is required
- Excellent project management experience with a track record that includes management and technical direction of multiple environmental projects and budgets in excess of $5 million
- Hold a professional designation and meet the BC provincial requirements of a qualified professional in water-related field is an asset
- Proven skills leading a team
- Strong communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Strong water chemistry and applied statistics background
- Proficient in environmental data management, analysis, and reporting
- Ability to manage multiple priorities to see projects to completion and to meet challenges directly
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.