Senior Mine Engineer
Company Background and Culture
Poised for growth, Taseko Mines is a dynamic international mining company, headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia. Our strategy is to build on our operating asset and grow our company by developing our pipeline of high quality, advanced stage projects.
Taseko owns (75%) and operates the state-of-the-art Gibraltar Mine in central British Columbia, the second largest open pit copper mine in Canada with a 700-person workforce. Gibraltar has a long mine life and produces an average of 140 million pounds of copper and 2.5 million pounds of molybdenum per year.
Taseko’s Florence Copper Project in Arizona offers an environmentally superior low-cost source of copper for the green economy. The in-situ copper recovery method employed will consume 71% less energy, emit 83% less carbon and consume 93% less water per pound of copper produced when compared to a conventional open pit mine. Engineering, permitting and financing activities are all underway in preparation for the 20-year commercial production phase of the project which will almost double Taseko’s annual copper production.
With the acquisition of Yellowhead Mining, Taseko has added another large, long-life copper project to its development portfolio. The deposit, located 150km north of Kamloops, BC, is similar to the Gibraltar Mine deposit and the company is preparing to take the steps necessary to advance the technical and permitting work required to move the project towards production.
In addition to the activities underway at Florence Copper and Yellowhead, Taseko continues engineering, permitting and environmental assessment related activities at its Aley niobium project in north central BC.
Taseko understands that continued success and growth are created by our most valued asset, our people. Excellence is always our goal and achieving it means attracting, training and rewarding those who share our ambition and passion to be the very best we can be. Join our team of experienced professionals and become part of an exciting future of growth and personal development. For more information on Taseko visit our website at https://www.tasekomines.com.
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Senior Mine Engineer will be in integral member of an experienced corporate engineering team working on a broad spectrum of projects at various stages of design, permitting, construction and operation. Based in Vancouver, the successful candidate will provide support at the corporate level including project mine planning, technical input to environmental assessment and permitting of projects, and acquisition evaluation.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Capable of completing a broad range of multidisciplinary tasks in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Assume a project management role for aspects of technical studies and field programs including evaluating consultant proposals, controlling costs, and coordinating deliverables.
- Lead the development of optimized life of mine and medium term life designs, including project design, scheduling and budgeting.
- Participate in the technical and financial analysis of potentially accretive acquisitions.
- Stay up to date with relevant industry trends and evaluate applicability of emerging technologies.
- Present results of studies and projects to executive level staff in Vancouver through a variety of methods, not limited to, but including, written reports, memos, live presentations, and informal meetings.
- Contribute to the technical aspects of environmental assessments and permitting.
- Interface and communicate with various levels of government, stakeholders and communities to support permitting activities.
- Liaise with operating sites and occasionally travel to mine site(s) for technical support.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Mining Engineering with a minimum of 7 years of related open pit mining experience, with at least 3 years mine planning and operations experience.
- Registration as a P.Eng. with EGBC or the ability to become registered within 12 months.
- Proficiency in mine design, planning and scheduling software, GIS basics, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience with geotechnical considerations in pit, tailings, and dump design.
- Exposure to geological and geostatistical modelling concepts.
- Familiarity with water management concepts and modelling would be an asset.
- Proficiency in cost estimation, cash flow model development, and economic evaluation.
- Proven project management experience.
Skills and Competencies
- High ethical standards, accountability, and integrity.
- Ability to work independently as well as provide leadership within a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented with a clear and concise writing style.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement solutions based on pragmatic, critical thinking.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- Strong MS Office and computer skills with an emphasis on Excel.
- Ability to travel to operational sites for technical support up to 15% of the time.
At Taseko, we pride ourselves in offering a challenging and rewarding work environment. Our employees have the opportunity for career and professional growth through development, education and succession plan programs.
In addition, our compensation benefit package includes competitive salaries and vacation packages, Health and Insurance benefit program, and Retirement Savings Plan.
If you are qualified for the position posted and are interested in being part of reshaping the future of Taseko Mines Limited, please contact us either through our website at https://www.tasekomines.com or by sending your particulars resume and cover letter to Amanda Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org