Reporting to the Manager Water Planning, the Senior Mine Engineer, Water Quality Management will take on the role of Mine and Water Planner and is responsible for coordinating, working with, and supporting the mine-sites to improve the integration of water and mine planning so that water quality management is addressed more proactively. The successful candidate will help develop and implement process and tools to facilitate improved integration to decrease the amount of water requiring treatment in the medium and long term.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop and build relationships with the mine-sites through regular visits and coordinated working sessions
- Collaborate with the mine-sites document expectations and site needs to better integrate water and mine planning
- Gain input and share information between water and mine planning
- Compile and help communicate updated site development plans within the Water Quality Management Group
- Work with Applied Research and Development (R&D), and mine-sites, to lead the analysis, consideration, and potential integration of future alternative treatment technologies and source control into mine plans
- Develop a long term implementation and coordination plan for integration of water and mine planning
- Gather recent mine planning information as input for water modelling and water planning
- Check and sign off on waste rock and mine plan information provided by the mine-sites from a mine planning perspective
- Support various business planning elements for the Water Quality Management Group including monthly forecast, five year plan, budget, and long-term forecast
- Support strategic planning process including adjustments to the implementation plan for water quality management and a strategic water R&D plan (with linkages to mine plans and the implementation plan)
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- University Degree in Engineering or equivalent with Mining, Civil, or Geotechnical specialization
- Minimum five years of progressively senior level experience in mine planning. Preference in open pit, or truck and shovel operations
- Registered or eligible for registration with EGBC
- Strong knowledge of, and experience with, long range mine planning
- Strong knowledge of pit and spoil design
- Familiarity with mine planning software tools, especially Minesight, XPAC, and Comet
- Good computer skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office Suite®: Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Prior exposure coordinating and working collaboratively with peers, and skills to interact and communicate across multiple sites
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Superior interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, including leading change and making recommendations
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and decision making abilities
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure with minimal guidance, and meet tight deadlines
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.