Reporting to the Superintendent, Engineering, the Senior Mining Engineer is responsible for managing the mid and long range engineering group.
In addition to leadership, other key aspects of the role include improving the mine plan to enhance value, evaluating alternative mining methods, identifying growth opportunities, and continuous improvement of the mine engineering systems and processes.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide technical expertise, leadership, and training for the engineering team
- Provide corporate governance for the Life of Mine Plans, 5 Year Plans, Reserve and Resources, and Quarterly Reconciliations
- Oversee mine design, pit, dump, and road optimization, economic evaluation, cost estimating, productivity forecasting, equipment selection, and production scheduling
- Incorporate, investigate, and develop best practice for Teck Coal in areas of pit evaluation, mine engineering design and scheduling, and alternate mining technology
- Oversee development of the 18 Month Mine Plan and Budget
- Maintain positive relationship with the regulator, and ensure all reports and applications submitted in order to avoid any delays to production
- BSc. Engineering or equivalent with Mining, Civil, or Geological specialization
- P. Eng. or P.Geo. designation is required
- Superior leadership, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Minimum seven years of well-rounded engineering experience, with prior exposure coordinating and supervising an engineering team; equivalent combination of education and open pit engineering experience may be acceptable
- Previous work in multi coal seam open pit, truck, and shovel operations is advantageous
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced environment and comfortable with making recommendations and decisions
- Excellent computer skills, particularly spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation applications
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and decision making abilities
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner and possess good time management skills
- Experience with the budgeting process
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and excel in a technical team based environment
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.