Reporting to the Senior Supervising Process Engineer, the Senior Process Engineer is responsible for monitoring and adjusting water treatment facility and landfill performance to meet compliance targets set by ENV permits 107517 and 106789. In addition, this role will drive continuous improvement programs as specific sites move to improve effluent quality, maximize plant capacity, and reduce operating costs. This is a new position that will develop as the Water Operations group matures. As such, candidate flexibility will be an asset as needs vary between projects and operations
The Elk Valley Water Quality Plan (EVWQP) guides Teck’s efforts to ensure watershed health. Teck Coal’s Water Quality Management Group is responsible for achieving Teck’s commitments under the plan by implementing water quality mitigations through both treatment and the support of Research and Development work to identify additional sustainable options. Teck is at the forefront of selenium treatment and this position offers a unique opportunity to lead its execution. The successful applicant should expect to be part of a fast paced environment with complex challenges working on the cutting edge of water treatment.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Establish and maintain a culture of responsibility and technical excellence
- Lead a highly collaborative team with a focus on delivering value and promoting sharing of best practices across operations
- Prepare, review, and sign off on monthly production reports
- Provide process leadership for the development of safe work plans, standard operating procedures, data management, and pilot testing
- Lead the management of change process for process related activities
- Complete staff assessments and provide training, development, and mentoring of junior engineers, EITs, and technical personnel
- Participate in the development and implementation of overall project strategies, schedules, costs, and criteria
- Lead cross-functional process development, plant commissioning, plant start-up, and plant optimization teams
- Identify, understand, and quantify process and project risks that may impact process performance or project deliverables
- Direct the development and completion of engineering deliverables required for advancing projects in a timely and cost effective manner such as engineering packages, conceptual desktop level studies, and capital and operating cost assessments and reports
- Deliver projects with key success factors aligned to the project deliverables, including health and safety, environmental compliance, schedule, cost, and quality
- Analyze and review design specifications and drawings for completeness and practicality, and provide support for associated groups
- Degree in Process Engineering such as chemical, mineral processing, extractive metallurgy, or civil with a focus on water treatment, or equivalent experience or certification
- Ten to Fifteen years previous work experience. Preference to engineering experience gained in an industrial operating facility, particularly water or other chemical process
- Minimum five years supervisory or leadership experience
- Previous experience with selenium or nitrate treatment would be a strong asset
- Strong understanding of process engineering fundamentals including mass balances, chemical reaction engineering, and solid-liquid separation
- Strong cross-functional team leader with a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Good attention to detail and a willingness to review and manage large amounts of data
- Willingness to be part of a team that troubleshoots and tackles problems that may not have been seen or documented previously in the industry
- Willingness to perform desk work, lab work, pilot work, or plant work as needs dictate
- Willingness to work periodic shift work, as needs dictate
- Strong process documentation and reporting capabilities
- Highly motivated individual that is able to work independently and take ownership of their work to achieve the desired outcomes
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.