Reporting to the Manager, Applied Research and Development, the Senior Project Lead, Research and Development is responsible for leading the delivery of large water quality research and development (R&D) projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for collaborating with Teck’s external R&D partners to develop research programs, then safely executing those programs on active mine sites
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Lead significant projects through their entire life cycle from idea, lab and pilot testing, to transfer to operations
- Collaborate with Teck’s Environment and Social Responsibility function to acquire necessary permits and work with regulators to transition R&D projects to technologies that can be relied on as primary mitigation
- Balance the technical needs of research programs with the practical requirements of active mining or industrial environments
- Act as project manager to set engineering scope, develop engineering RFPs, and evaluate proposals
- Become an internal expert in relevant R&D disciplines including geochemistry, hydrogeology, hydrology, and microbiology
- Understand fundamental geochemical release and attenuation mechanisms for selenium, nitrate, and other constituents of interest
- Deliver R&D updates to both internal and external stakeholders
- Engineering or Science degree in a civil, chemical, geological, mining, environmental, or other related field
- Ten or more years of experience in deploying projects in an industrial setting; ideally mining
- Ability to collaborate technically with research partners in terms of experimental plan development and data analysis, providing direction to ensure research programs are fit for purpose
- Experience working on significant projects, overseeing, coordinating, and communicating with multiple internal resources, external contractors, and regulators
- Experience building collaborative relationships with operations to execute projects on sites
- Ability to communicate at an appropriate level to a wide variety of stakeholder groups
- Formal or informal supervisory experience
- Experience planning on a three to five year time horizon
- Experience in organizing and facilitating multi-stakeholder workshops
- Experience working in alternative mine design or water treatment is an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.