Reporting to the Manager, Regulatory Approvals, the Senior Specialist, Regulatory Approvals is responsible for directing and overseeing the regulatory approvals process and teams responsible for acquiring Social, Environmental, and Regulatory Approvals (SERA) for Teck’s Coal Business Unit (BU) major mine development and expansion projects. Travel to the coal mining operations will be required to ensure strong relationships and integration between SERA teams and the mine operations.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide a leadership role within Regulatory Approvals team, including but not limited to team vision, development, resource planning, and recruitment
- Manage a team of direct reports made up of Regulatory Approvals professionals (Leads and Coordinators) assigned to mine development projects. This includes supporting individual and team development, setting expectations, and performance evaluations
- Oversee and provide strategic guidance to the Leads and Coordinators, including alignment with Teck’s Project Delivery and SERA frameworks, participation in risk analyses, and providing strategic direction on project scope and issues resolution
- Manage and support the Leads and Coordinators in submitting quality regulatory applications and obtaining the major project approvals that allow for development, operation, and closure of assigned projects in a reasonable timeframe
- Lead and facilitate the integration of SERA work with regional environmental and social responsibility programs such as regional aquatic monitoring, water quality modeling and planning, and biodiversity
- Support, participate, and provide input and guidance into key strategic priorities that interface with major mine development projects such as water quality management, biodiversity, terrestrial cumulative effects, and closure
- Identify key risks, issues, and opportunities related to advancement of Teck’s objectives and priorities, including recommendation and implementation of changes to the strategic direction for regulatory approvals within the Coal BU
- Develop effective relationships with internal teams and stakeholders, including mine operations, and support and provide input into priorities such as life-of-mine planning
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key external stakeholders, such as regulatory agencies, indigenous nations, and communities of interest that we work with regularly on projects
- Present to, and provide briefings to, project board members, management teams, and other internal groups and stakeholders as required, in areas related to responsibility
- Manage major development project priorities, planning, resourcing, and other components required to support projects being advanced within the Coal BU
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned to meet the goals, objectives, and priorities of the Regulatory Approvals team, the Coal BU, and Teck
- Engineering or Science degree in environment, forestry, agronomy, biology, or related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the resource industry, combined with experience in managing complex regulatory applications and processes
- Experience that demonstrates ability to provide leadership and manage a team of direct reports
- Understanding of, and experience in, meeting the requirements of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, BC Environmental Assessment Act, BC Mines Act, BC Water Sustainability Act, BC Environmental Management Act, or other applicable legislation
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in leading environmental assessments or complex regulatory applications for major mining or other natural resource projects through provincial and federal regulatory processes
- Knowledge of and experience with legal and other requirements for open pit mines, preferably in BC and Alberta
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation delivery skills in both formal and informal settings with variety of audiences, such as management, indigenous nations, and regulatory agencies
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.