Reporting to the Manager Projects, the Senior Supervisor Project Services is accountable for the implementation and consistent application of Project Management Best Practices, including but not limited to project controls, procedures, and systems for all phases of projects within the Coal Business Unit. The Senior Supervisor Project Services will support the Project Directors with their Project Controls needs, which includes the disciplines of estimating, cost control, planning and scheduling, change management, progress reporting, and information management. In addition, they will also be responsible for working in coordination with, and providing support for the other key project team functions, including engineering, procurement, risk management, and accounting.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Manage the Project Controls team, including Cost, Planning, and Scheduling
- Assure project processes, including Teck Project Delivery Framework (TPDF), management of change, project charter development including success criteria, request for proposals, contract preparation, and execution are effectively applied
- Mentor and coach teams comprising of Project Directors, Project Managers, and Project Owners as related to the application of Project Controls and application of Project Management Best Practices including TPDF
- Review and report project data, with emphasis on analysis and mitigation of variances to the plan, including cost, progress, and performance
- Ensure that project control decisions can be made based upon accurate and timely cost, schedule, and progress performance information
- Plan and implement project controls resources, processes, tools, and systems on selected major projects
- Transfer learning from actual project implementation into Continuous Improvement of company policies and procedures
- Ensure effective integration of resources and activities with all other relevant project functions on each project
- Review project teams’ budgets, Request for Proposals, and Scope of Work
- Participate in proposal evaluation
- Review the projects’ CAPEX
- Appropriate qualifications in cost and schedule management or work related equivalent
- A graduate degree in an engineering discipline; a post-graduate degree is desirable
- Certification from PMI and AACEI is preferred
- A minimum of 15 years work experience in project management, project control, cost, schedule, budget analysis, change control, and estimating
- Excellent knowledge of project management theory, especially in time and cost management
- Proficient understanding of project planning, scheduling, cost analysis, and system application
- Previous experience in a leadership role in implementation and use of project control systems and procedures
- Ability to identify potential project challenges, assess scheduling, and cost impacts
- Advanced knowledge in analyzing data, trending, and forecasting of cost and schedule variances and integrating information for projects in order to provide guidance to Project Directors
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Experience with a “Stage Gate” approach to project delivery
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Project, PrismG2 and Primavera P6
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.