Reporting to the Lead Operating Excellence, the Specialist Operating Excellence is responsible for developing and supporting key improvement initiatives at the site. As a subject matter expert and practitioner in the area of Continuous Improvement, the individual will evaluate site opportunities, benchmark site performance, and promote initiatives. The successful candidate will work with the operating departments in the evaluation of ideas, in implementation with end users and digital teams, and in sustaining the initiatives.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Support improving site performance through site benchmarking to identify potential opportunities and initiatives to address specified business objectives
- Analyze site performance with the goal of identifying opportunities to improve productivity and reduce cost that will impact site metrics in subsequent budgets and forecasts, such as BCM/oh, $/meter drilled, operating efficiency, or $/bcm blasted
- Promote the sharing of site successes that can be actioned across the Business Unit to expedite value creation
- Support site Operating Excellence teams in problem solving and implementation planning through the application of an in depth understanding of the mining business, and key cost and business drivers
- Apply change management strategies to initiative planning
- Engage and advance the culture of continual improvement through all layers of the organization
- Report on realized benefits, business objectives, and validate that recognized gains are calculated on a standardized basis
- Validate reported savings against a common framework and methodology, quarterly margin improvement reporting, analysis, and administrative coordination
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Mining, Engineering, Processing, or qualification in related discipline
- Three to ten years of progressively senior level experience in areas of specialty, with a minimum of two years’ experience in Continuous Improvement (CI) or operating excellence environment using Lean, Six Sigma, or other CI processes
- Professional designation in discipline preferred (P.Eng, MBA, CFA, CPA)
- Strong analytical and data management and modelling skills, experience developing business cases, and an ability to communicate through multiple mediums
- Mining experience with a well-developed understanding of the business, and cost drivers and levers for improvement
- A critical thinker with the ability to make judgements through analysis of quantitative facts, interpretation, evaluation, problem solving, and explanation
- A proven leader with demonstrated experience in continuous improvement process methodologies
- Progressive experience in leading initiatives, teams, and/or initiatives in a technically and operationally complex business
- Proven success implementing change through end user and stakeholder engagement, and sustaining results
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure with minimal guidance to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with team members and stakeholders
- Advanced user of the Microsoft Suite®, in particular Excel and PowerPoint
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.