Reporting to the Manager, Financial Planning, the Supervisor, Financial Planning is responsible for compiling and analyzing monthly forecast and annual budget data based on the Coal Business Unit. Working with key stakeholders across the Mine Sites and Offsite groups, Vancouver Head Office, and other Business Units (BUs) the Supervisor, Financial Planning facilitates specific process initiatives and is tasked with consistently working to improve the financial planning processes and systems. The Financial Planning group is dedicated to ensuring the BU has an accurate forecast and budget at all levels of the business, this allows for an effective process of analyzing and understanding current and past information to manage the BU going forward.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of the monthly forecast, annual budget reporting, and reconciliation processes as well as actively developing and executing plans to constantly refine and improve these functions
- Compile BU financial and operational performance trends; compare historical and forecasted values using appropriate metrics; work towards identifying resulting implications, key actions, and potential opportunities or risks of sites, departments, and the BU as a whole
- Evaluate information gathered from multiple sites and support departments, reconcile gaps, decompose high-level information into details, prepare and present detailed information in an easy to understand format
- Perform routine analytical reviews of the operating sites and BU financial and operational performance for both the annual budget and monthly forecasts; leverage business unit analytical resources and tools, and identify areas for improvement
- Deliver detailed financial and economic analysis to be used to identify options and recommendations to improve BU profitability and margins
- Work with cost analysts and the other financial planning team members to ensure a detailed understanding of, and improve financial performance versus plan wherever possible
- Provide supervision, mentorship, and training to junior and new staff members
- Perform and co-ordinate ad-hoc analysis to address new and emerging trends
- Prepare pixel-perfect presentations in support of board and shareholder meetings and monthly or quarterly senior leadership meetings
- Develop and maintain financial models to assist in the validation of forecast and budget submissions, and predictive models to model key performance indicators and scenario analysis
- Analyze the external operating environment to develop assumptions to support forecast and budget processes
- Ensure accuracy of allocations and BU level calculations (i.e. royalties and taxes) required for consolidation of forecast and budget statements and margins
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA)
- Minimum ten years of finance experience; mining experience
- Business Analyst Courses or relevant job experience would be considered an asset
- Working knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) combined with strong technical accounting knowledge would be an asset
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and decision making abilities
- Experience managing a small team
- Advanced computer skills, particularly in Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with the Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP, Atlas XL, and SharePoint would be considered an asset
- Effective communication skills: both written and oral
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure with minimal guidance to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and partner effectively with other team members
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.