Reporting to the Supervisor, Water Operations, the Technician, Water Operations is responsible for the safe and efficient execution of water facility work, such as sampling plan implementation, which involves the accurate sampling, laboratory analysis, and interpretation of the results in order to inform process changes. Technicians will be trained and expected to work at all operating facilities, on long-term rotations as needed. Travel time to the assigned site will not be included as part of working hours with the schedule being 7 days on, 7 days off and 12 hour shifts which may include nights.
The Elk Valley Water Quality Plan (EVWQP) guides Teck’s efforts to ensure watershed health. Teck Coal’s Water Quality Management Group (WQM) is responsible for achieving Teck’s commitments under the plan by implementing water quality mitigations through both treatment and the support of Research and Development (R&D) work to identify additional sustainable options. Technical Services, Elk Valley (TSEV) will be providing a significant number of the resources needed to execute WQM’s current and future water initiatives. TSEV is a business unit within Teck that provides support to all of Teck’s locations with services ranging from project identification to project execution.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure compliance with British Columbia legislation as it relates to mine water treatment facilities
- Monitor and control the water treatment facility to ensure performance objectives are achieved
- Ensure plant operations conform to operating standards and procedures, and meet reporting requirements
- Set up process set points and initiate process control adjustments in response to changing conditions
- Support third party contractors on the collection, preparation, and delivery of water, and other related samples, to the laboratory
- Conduct sampling according to the BC Field Sampling Manual and Teck Coal sampling procedures
- Perform water chemistry analytical testing and other laboratory tests as well as Quality Assurance/Quality Control testing
- Log operational and laboratory data into the database
- Calibrate laboratory instruments and maintain records and supplies
- Review computerized operating and laboratory data, and perform process changes based on the interpretation of laboratory data
- Carry out hazardous waste management activities, such as sampling and filling of hazardous waste containers, and transferring hazardous waste to proper locations
- Execute routine and non-routine operational activities as required by Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), including start-up and safely shutdown, isolation or lock-out/tag-out of process equipment and draining, de-pressurization and flushing of isolated equipment
- Maintain the update of SOPs as required
- Perform operator rounds by inspecting the plant process and equipment through visual inspection and the plant process control computer system
- Complete plant process reagent preparation activities
- Perform other related duties as required
- Post-Secondary education, College Diploma, or University Degree in Engineering or Sciences, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A Level I, II, or III Water or Wastewater Treatment certificate is an asset
- General knowledge of Water and Waste Water Treatment technology and processes as well as a mechanical understanding of process equipment
- Analytical laboratory experience is required
- Previous experience with Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and Human Machine Interface (HMI) control systems is considered an asset
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making abilities
- Computer literate and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite®, preferably Excel, and other data management tools
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Valid Class 5 British Columbia Driver's License or equivalent
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.