Reporting to the Supervisor, Mining Systems, the Technologist, Mining Systems is responsible for identifying, implementing, and supporting technology-based solutions that enable improvements in mine safety, productivity, and sustainability at Teck’s large scale mining operations worldwide.
Supported applications include some which are time-critical. Ineffective support could result in impacts to safety and operations following a 4 x 4 dayshift work schedule. The incumbent will participate in projects in the $50K to $6M range. Annual value of business impacted by these projects may exceed $25 million.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Support safe production by ensuring high availability of mining systems and technology within Teck's operations globally. Systems include, but are not limited to fleet management, high precision GNSS navigation, embedded platforms, IoT devices, advanced networks, mine safety systems, tele-remote and autonomous equipment
- Perform complex troubleshooting and root cause analysis to ensure reliable, high performing systems
- Contribute to the planning, development, and support of business critical objectives within the scope of Mine Operations, Engineering, and Operating Excellence departments at all Teck mining operations
- Develop expertise and breadth of knowledge by working with other Operational Technology teams
- Develop a network of relationships across Teck operations and corporate offices
- Collaborate to develop high quality technical documentation and standards with a focus on highly available systems and safe production
- Adhere to the Teck Digital Systems change control and other policies and procedures
- Facilitate and support cyber-security improvements, incident response, and forensics
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer or Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Two to Five years of experience delivering and supporting information technology services in an industrial setting
- Experience working with mining specific systems such as fleet management, high precision guidance, geotechnical monitoring, IoT, or similar systems would be an asset
- Experience with embedded computing technologies, protocols, and hardware interfaces would be an asset
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows desktop and server Operating Systems, virtualization, Active Directory, and computer networking fundamentals is required
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating systems would be an asset
- Basic software development experience using Microsoft .NET C#/VB.NET, SQL Server, shell scripting, and source control would be an asset
- Networking fundamentals relating to wireless networking, routing, switching, firewalls, and knowledge of common network protocols would be an asset
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills, particularly in the context of an industrial environment
- Strong cross-functional team participant and collaborative approach to problem solving as well as the ability to work autonomously in a range of environments
- Strong commitment to customer satisfaction and the ability to maintain strong relationships with business partners, business management. and application users
- Strong written, verbal communications and interpersonal skills
- Working level Spanish would be an asset
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license is required
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.