Title: Vice President, Engineering & Capital Projects
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Classification: Full-time, Permanent
Compensation & Benefits: $250,000 - $350,000 per annum. This position is eligible for benefits (includes: medical, extended health, prescription drug, dental, vision, life & AD&D, Employee Share Purchase Plan, Stock Option, Relocation Expense Allowance and RRSP) and twenty (20) days of vacation.
The Vice President, Engineering & Capital Projects is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Determining the options available for development projects;
- Providing executive management and the Board with comparative assessment of the various projects available to Eldorado;
- Providing strategic engineering oversight and guidance to the existing mine sites;
- Providing strategic oversight and guidance in the execution of major capital projects; and
- Utilising leadership, engineering and construction expertise to guide key stakeholders through the process of planning and construction and provide reliable budgeting, control, guidance and progress reports.
- Embrace the business co-owner model of Projects and Operations.
- Adheres to the Eldorado Investment Policy and Framework for all Capital Projects.
- Adheres to and provides periodic updates to the Eldorado Capital Investment Framework – (ECIF) Standards.
- Holds direct corporate oversight responsibility for new and existing development engineering activities.
- Holds overall responsibility for the quality of project delivery from original concept through final implementation.
- Provides strategic input into both greenfields projects and potential acquisitions with respect to various options available to develop such projects.
- Provides strategic engineering oversight and guidance to the existing mine sites and development projects with respect to capital projects or capital expansion projects.
- Contributes technical and operational advice and guidance to the corporate team to assist in the completion of feasibility studies and operational preparedness.
- Oversees the planning and execution of capital projects and leads project managers through the process of implementation to completion of projects in a safe manner, within budget, on schedule and in accordance with the appropriate standards, specifications and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate with in-country personnel to ensure projects are permitted and licensed as required to meet development schedules.
- Actively promote high standards for safety across all capital projects.
- Ensures timely implementation of processes to meet budgeted requirements of development projects.
- Ensures the optimal application of technology and engineering resources to meet project development and/or business unit requirements.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable policies, rules, laws and government regulations within the project scope.
- Demonstrates strong project governance and delivery skills – initiation, planning, execution, status reporting, financials, stakeholder management, resource management, risk management and prioritization.
- Liaises with the Senior Operational team during the design, construction and commissioning phases of the project to ensure that the team is kept abreast of the latest developments and can be involved in commissioning to ensure a timely handover.
- Ensure effective project handover and completion of project closeout reports.
- Provides leadership to and holds accountability for the engineering team and project management team and all third party design, engineering and other consulting firms that may be engaged.
- Develops, updates and implements policies, procedures and standards to ensure effective proposal, estimating and engineering and construction execution practices throughout the Company
- Advises the executive management team and the Board of project status and any significant trends and changes in the scope or outcomes on the potential investment on a regular basis.
- Assists with the preparation of various reports to ensure the Vancouver executive team are kept fully aware of the progress and problems associated with any of the projects under the position’s control.
- Effectively communicate project expectations, goals and scope with relevant parties. Track project progress and conduct status meetings.
- Ensure scope, design and objectives are defined, and detailed work plans, schedules, budgets and procedures are established.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Civil, Mechanical or Mining engineering degree or similar.
- More than 15 years of progressive experience in engineering, development and construction with broad based management responsibilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of capital project planning and management concepts and practices, with a proven track record of delivery of large, complex projects
- Ability to direct the various sites while allowing the Project Manager to fulfil their role successfully.
- Strong operational and project management skills
- Solid understanding of engineering technical issues/requirements, project design and development
- Broad base of experience in underground and open pit mine environments
- Superior engineering abilities, working knowledge of geology, metallurgy, permitting and environment
- Demonstrated ability in mine development projects, preferably with international experience
- Knowledge of computer software for mine design and cash flow analysis.
- Knowledge of computerized block modeling/mine planning software and spreadsheets
- International experience an asset
- The ability to manage multiple sites in various time zones.