Prince George initially saw rapid growth and prosperity ushered in by a booming forest industry. Today, mining plays a key role in the economy of Prince George, with the city acting as a supply an
All communities are mining communities.
BC’s mining industry is foundational to the province and will continue to play a critical role in the growth of our province.
- In 2017, the BC mining operations directly employed XXXX individuals
- For every direct job in the BC mining industry, there are at least two jobs in mining supply and services.
- From it to port, BC mining companies support jobs in every region of the province.
A single mining operation in BC, can support jobs all across the province. For example, a mine in south central BC:
- had a feasibility study prepared by an engineering firm in Vancouver;
- conveyor systems supplied by a company in Surrey;
- belting from a firm in Burnaby;
- explosives from a company in Williams Lake;
- fuel and steel balls from companies in Kamloops, and;
- truck tires from a company with a head office in Vernon.
BC mining companies are investing in the future of British Columbia.
- In 2017, mining operations spent more than $1.37 billion on capital expenditure at their mine sites, supporting jobs and economic development across the province.
- More than $102 million was spent in 2017 on exploration and development.
- BC mining companies generated more than $650 million in government revenue for programs such as childcare, health care and infrastructure development.